WIC is the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. It is a federal program funded by the United States Department of Agriculture.
You can start the enrollment process by answering a few questions on our Apply for WIC page. A WIC representative will contact you for more information. While our offices remain closed to the public, all appointments and benefits are being provided virtually (by phone). We ask that you are prepared to provide required paperwork during your phone appointment, such as:
- Identification (example: driver’s license, state ID, immunization card, birth certificate, Medi-Cal/Medicaid card, etc.)
- Proof of address (example: any piece of mail with your name and current address, rent receipt, bill, Medi-Cal/Medicaid card, CalFresh/SNAP letter)
- Proof of income (example: pay stub, disability/unemployment letter, active Medi-Cal/Medicaid card, CalFresh/SNAP letter)
- WIC referral form completed by health care provider or doctor, if available
WIC is for all types of families: married and single parents, working or not working. If you are a father, mother, grandparent, foster parent, or other guardian of a child under five, you can apply for WIC. You can also apply if you are pregnant or had a pregnancy loss within the last 6 months. In order to be eligible for WIC, you must:
- Be in one of the following groups:
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women up to one year after the birth of the baby (postpartum)
- Non-breastfeeding women up to six months after the birth of the baby
- Women who have lost a pregnancy within the past six months
- Infants and children under five years old
- Foster children under five years old
- Single fathers, grandparents, and other legal guardians of children age 5 years or younger may receive benefits for eligible infants/children
- Families living in the U.S.
- Meet the income guidelines (please see income table below)
To be eligible for WIC, your total household income must be no greater than 185% of the federal poverty level. The table below shows you what that means by household size. WIC helps all eligible families on public assistance, and also assists many families with working parents. Many low to moderate income families are eligible for WIC and do not realize it.
|More than 8||Add per additional member|
Call or text us. A WIC counselor will assess your situation to see if you still qualify. If you have Medi-Cal/Medicaid, CalFresh/SNAP or CalWorks, you already qualify for WIC.
Foods which are high in Vitamin A & C, protein, iron and calcium are provided as part of the WIC Program. These are the nutrients that are vital to the good health of pregnant and breastfeeding women, and to the good health and development of infants, and children. Key foods that the WIC Program provides include fruits and vegetables, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, beans, peanut butter, iron fortified infant and adult cereals, vitamin C juices, infant formula, and whole grain foods like bread, brown rice, pasta, and tortillas. Lactose-free milk, soy milk, and tofu are also available. Breastfeeding women receive extra benefits for canned fish. Learn more about shopping for WIC foods.
Review your benefits balance to ensure it looks correct. Review your benefits start and end dates, as this may have changed. If your benefit balance looks incorrect, or if you need to make changes to your foods, please send a text to 91997. If everything looks correct, there is no need to follow up, and you can begin using your benefits as soon as they are available to you.
If you have missed your appointment, please text us at 91997. If you have a SCHEDULED appointment, please be available around the time of your appointment to receive a call from your WIC counselor. In addition, we ask that you are prepared to provide required paperwork during your appointment. See our office hours and locations.
You can text us your information at 91997. We will notify you by text when we received your documents. If necessary, we will be in contact with you to schedule your appointment.
We will gladly issue you a new WIC card. Send a text to 91997 with your name, mailing address, and date of birth to request your WIC card by mail. We will notify you by text when your card has been mailed and you can expect to receive it within 5 business days.