Getting Started with your WIC Card
WIC food benefits are provided monthly on a reusable California WIC Card. All your family’s WIC food benefits are together on one WIC Card. The WIC Card is like a debit card and makes shopping easy. Keep your WIC Card safe. Never throw it away.
Download the WIC app.
Watch the video.
The WIC Card Video will show you how to use your new WIC card at the store, how to check your WIC food balance, and more!
Go to www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov and play “Your California WIC Card” video in the top left corner.
Think of a PIN.
Think of a 4 digit number that is easy for you to remember and difficult for others to guess. You will need a 4 digit PIN to use your WIC card at the store.
Replace Your Lost WIC Card
WIC cards are distributed by mail.
PHFE WIC families can fill out the WIC Card Request Form to have misplaced, damaged, or stolen California WIC cards replaced.
You can expect to receive your new card within 5 business days upon request.
Check your WIC Food Balance Before You Shop
Your WIC Food Balance shows the foods and the amounts available to your family between specific dates. As you shop and use your WIC foods, your Food Balance will change. Be sure to shop for all of the foods in your WIC Food Balance within the allowed dates.
There are many ways to find your WIC Food Balance
- Use the free California WIC app on your smartphone.
- Look at your store receipt from your last shopping trip.
- Ask a cashier or customer service person at the grocery store to print your WIC Food Balance.
- Call the toll free number on the back of your WIC Card,
1-844-4MY-FAMILY or 1-844-469-3264.
- Go online to www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov
Select Your WIC Foods At the Store
Use Your WIC Card At Checkout
Start your checkout
- Separate your WIC foods from your non-WIC items.
Some stores may need to scan your WIC items first.
- Tell the cashier you are using your WIC Card.
- Ask the cashier when to swipe your WIC Card and enter your PIN.
- Always swipe your WIC Card first before using other forms of payment, such as CalFresh, debit card, or cash.
- Pay close attention as the cashier scans each WIC item.
After the cashier scans all your items
- Look over your WIC purchases and make sure all items are correct before your sale is totaled. The cashier may give you a receipt or show you a screen to review.
- Confirm all your purchases are correct using the card machine. Any foods not available in your WIC Food Balance can be put back or bought using another form of payment.
- Tell the cashier if you want to put something back before the cashier gives you the final receipt.
- Give the cashier your store loyalty card and any coupons you have.
- Pay for any non-WIC items using another form of payment.
- Wait for the cashier to complete the sale and give you a final receipt. Save your receipt in a safe place, such as your wallet.
Reading Your Receipt
- Your receipt lists the items you just bought.
- Your receipt shows what you have left in your WIC Food Balance. All family benefits are combined.
- The receipt shows the last day you can buy the rest of your WIC foods. Your WIC Food Balance will expire at midnight on that day.
When You Have Questions About WIC Authorized Foods
or Your WIC Card